Chinese Grace Evangelical Free Church was previously called the Seattle Chinese Christian Fellowship. It was organized by a few committed families. The Fellowship was first formed on March 15, 1992 and the Sunday worship took place at the Emmanuel Bible Church. Pastor Alan Chow was the speaker on that first Sunday worship service. We were blessed with many different speakers since we did not have a pastor until Pastor Kin Ming Lee joined us later. In November 1992, it was relocated to North Seattle Alliance Church. In February 1993, Pastor Steven Lee officially became our pastor. In March 1993, the Seattle Christian Fellowship was renamed the Chinese Grace Church. In August 1994, the Sunday worship started at the United Evangelical Free Church. In February 1995 we affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America, and became the Chinese Grace Evangelical Free Church. We then had Pastor James Lam with us for seven years until he resigned to accept a call to another church in California in 2005. During that time, we relocated to the Esperance Baptist Church (name changed to Rock of Hope Baptist Church in 2011) in January 2005. In July 2006, Pastor Albert Chan became our pastor until August 2008. Samson Chu served as our part-time pastor before. From February 2015 to February 2016, Pastor Tom Chuang served in English ministry. Pastor David Lo became our pastor to shepherd us arrived in since March 2011 till now. In November 2017, we moved to our present location 22727 WA-99, Edmonds, WA 98026.
Statement of Faith
The church mission is:
- Exalt the Lord – To establish a Christ-centered church praising and worshiping the Lord
- Imitate the Lord – Mold believers’ lives and behavior to follow the example of Christ
- Proclaim the Lord – Spread the Gospel to people of all nations giving them the opportunity to accept Christ as their Savior
We believe that:
- God – We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.
- The Bible – We believe that God has spoken in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, through the words of human authors. As the verbally inspired Word of God, the Bible is without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for salvation, and the ultimate authority by which every realm of human knowledge and endeavor should be judged. Therefore, it is to be believed in all that it teaches, obeyed in all that it requires, and trusted in all that it promises.
- The Human Condition – We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His wrath. Only through God’s saving work in Jesus Christ can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed.
- Jesus Christ – We believe that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, fully God and fully man, one Person in two natures. Jesus—Israel’s promised Messiah—was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a sinless life, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father as our High Priest and Advocate.
- The Work of Christ – We believe that Jesus Christ, as our representative and substitute, shed His blood on the cross as the perfect, all-sufficient sacrifice for our sins. His atoning death and victorious resurrection constitute the only ground for salvation.
- The Holy Spirit – We believe that the Holy Spirit, in all that He does, glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ. Heconvicts the world of its guilt. He regenerates sinners, and in Him they are baptized into union with Christ and adopted as heirs in the family of God. He also indwells, illuminates, guides, equips and empowers believers for Christ-like living and service.
- The Church – We believe that the true church comprises all who have been justified by God’s grace through faith alone in Christ alone. They are united by the Holy Spirit in the body of Christ, of which He is the Head. The true church is manifest in local churches, whose membership should be composed only of believers. The Lord Jesus mandated two ordinances, baptism and the Lord’s Supper, which visibly and tangibly express the gospel. Though they are not the means of salvation, when celebrated by the church in genuine faith, these ordinances confirm and nourish the believer.
- Christian Living – We believe that God’s justifying grace must not be separated from His sanctifying power and purpose. God commands us to love Him supremely and others sacrificially, and to live out our faith with care for one another, compassion toward the poor and justice for the oppressed. With God’s Word, the Spirit’s power, and fervent prayer in Christ’s name, we are to combat the spiritual forces of evil. In obedience to Christ’s commission, we are to make disciples among all people, always bearing witness to the gospel in word and deed.
- Christ’s Return – We believe in the personal, bodily and glorious return of our Lord Jesus Christ. The coming of Christ, at a time known only to God, demands constant expectancy and, as our blessed hope, motivates the believer to godly living, sacrificial service and energetic mission.
- Response and Eternal Destiny – We believe that God commands everyone everywhere to believe the gospel by turning to Him in repentance and receiving the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that God will raise the dead bodily and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in the new heaven and the new earth, to the praise of His glorious grace. Amen.